Communicating people change in Lloyds Banking Group
Client: Lloyds Banking Group
The Finance function recently enlisted our expertise to help communicate people changes with accuracy, sensitivity and strong stakeholder management.
Lloyds Banking Group is a UK-focused financial services group with millions of customers and a purpose to help Britain prosper. The Finance Community team within Lloyds delivers an award-winning programme of learning, development and engagement activity for more than 3,000 Finance colleagues.
The team also handles strategic communications and has recently communicated the Finance strategy for the next three years. The strategy is ultimately to create a more efficient Finance function with communities of shared specialism – with Centralisation being one of the key themes.
Head of Finance Community Elizabeth Raffle enlisted our expertise on two projects to:
- Announce the move of around 450 colleagues into a new Centre of Excellence for specific Finance activities
- Communicate the relocation of a number of roles from London to Edinburgh and reshape the remaining London teams into hubs for specialist skills and business partnering
Any change can be unsettling for colleagues and the team recognised the importance of investing in good communication and change management from the outset.
With 8 years of previous in-house experience at Lloyds Banking Group, our core team member Sarah Sheasby was a natural fit for the project. Sarah has managed several complex change projects for the Bank and knows the importance of solid planning and attention to detail.
Working hand-in-hand with the project team, HR and stakeholders from several divisions, Sarah led the communications approach and the development of materials. Her focus was on supporting colleagues with the right information at the right time.
The changes were communicated to colleagues in March and April respectively, and involved:
- Local briefings planned in detail to ensure colleagues heard from their own teams first
- Clear, accurate supporting information, developed with HR, to guide colleagues through the impact, timescales and routes for support
- A consistent leadership message and visible leadership team
- Transparent communications to the rest of the Finance function about the changes happening and the context behind them.
Elizabeth Raffle said: “In times of change we know colleagues value consistent communications and visible leadership. Sarah has done a great job of supporting us to communicate difficult messages with accuracy and sensitivity.”
Sarah Sheasby has more than 15 years of experience in communications, including several years operating at a senior level within Lloyds Banking Group. Since joining us she has worked with the Royal Voluntary Service, Wonga.com, MoneySupermarket Group and Lloyds. Sarah is currently available for client assignments.