Internal communications review, implementation and interim leadership for Principality
Founded in the 1860s, Principality Building Society is the UK’s 6th biggest Building Society, a mutual owned by and run for the benefit of its 500,000 customers. With headquarters in Cardiff and around 1000 employees, Principality has more than 70 branches and agencies across Wales. Earlier this year the Society announced a major 10 year sponsorship of the Welsh Rugby Union which included the renaming of the Millennium Stadium to become Principality Stadium.
At the beginning of 2015 Principality asked us to deliver a review of internal communications to drive a new internal communications strategy in support of their new vision, purpose and strategy. It was critical for them that their people were fully engaged in the next stage of the Society’s journey.
This request resulted in 18 months working closely with Principality to upgrade and improve their internal communications.
We completed the review during Q2 ’15 using our tried and trusted internal communications review process, engaging stakeholders at all levels and bringing our years of corporate experience to bear. We made a number of recommendations to the executive team and this resulted in our MD Jos Harrison being asked to come in to the business to lead internal communications on an interim basis and implement the review’s recommendations.
Jos set out to address the key issues identified in the review by delivering:
- A rhythm of communications through an upgraded channel set
- Clarity for Principality people on the story for the business and what that means for them, and a clear messaging plan.
- Improved change communications through an enhanced framework
- An upgraded internal communications team providing proactive, expert delivery of communications and support to the business
Specific deliverables during Jos’s 10 months in the business included:
- Completion and approval of a business case for a new social intranet using the EasySharePoint and Yammer platforms, implementation planning and initial delivery work (scheduled for launch later this year)
- Development, launch and embedding of a new regular digital channel for managers
- Reshaping of the quarterly Senior Leadership Team meeting and following Business Update cascade
- Delivery of a new Tone of Voice Guide aligned with Principality’s new branding
- Reshaping the internal communications team to upgrade capability and provide improved support to the business
- Leading the communications for implementation of a new Organisation Design.
Customer Director Julie-Ann Haines said: “Jos’s leadership and internal communications expertise has been invaluable in helping us set a new internal communications strategy. During his time with us, we’ve made great progress in implementing a new internal communications infrastructure and programme which will be a key enabler for the delivery of Principality’s new vision and strategy.”